Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, April 19, 2013

Catch up - part deux

So there I am in my fancy hospital gown all dressed up and no where to go.  I have some pretty bad memories of this ER and am not too excited about being back there.  I'm wheeled passed the room my dad was in and find a nice little bed waiting for me in room 8.  Why I remember the number, who knows, but I do.

A nurse comes in and starts asking all the same questions about.  Blah blah blah.  Then she says something that struck me.  It was like she reached out and slapped me.  "Oh you're just trying to have your baby on 12/12/12."  Now to be fair, I thought it would be totally cool to have that as her birthday, but it's not like I was faking symptoms.  Though at this point most of them had subsided and I am starting to think that there isn't anything wrong with me.  You know, the girl who cried headache.

I get hooked up to an IV (not fun at all since I hate needles).  Hubbs is all it won't hurt.  Big, giant LIAR!  It hurt like no other.  And it continued to hurt.  I still maintain that they put it in wrong.  But you'll come to see that I had loads of fun with IVs over the course of my stay.  Yes, a stay, not a visit.  More on that later.

So this nurse leaves and we finally get to see a dr.  Or assistant.  Or something. Some of the details are a little foggy.  At this point I'm starving.  I have to pee.  And I'm grumpy.  Grumpy cat has nothing on me.  So the dr. person tells me I need a CAT scan.  Joy.   You try holding still while pregnant and uncomfortable.  In the mean time I have to have an eye exam.  So we waddle over to the eye chart.  Well, I waddle, Hubbs walks behind me.  He informs me after the exam that I missed most of them.  Great.  I'm going blind.

We are sitting in our room waiting.  Because that is all we do apparently.  And we see a set of hairy legs start to walk towards our "door"  (a curtain really).  And then we hear the following "Sir, I said room such and such, NOT room 8.  That is not your room."  And then through the crack of the curtain we see a man (also in a hospital gown) walk passed our room.  That was a close call.

Throw some boring stuff in there and some time goes by.  We have the CAT scan.  Some more time goes by.  Get the results.  The results show nothing.  So let's do an MRI.  Now needles and I don't get along.  MRI's and I have a very hateful relationship.  I am mildly claustrophobic.  This is not a joke.  Also, again you try being pregnant, a bladder that fills itself every two seconds, and lay still for 45 minutes.  While loud noises are going on around you and you are in a tiny space that is alternately blowing hot and cold air on you.  Sound like a picnic?  Oh and be starving.

I won't bore you with the details but I made it through by signing Christmas carols and nursery rhymes.  I learned that I don't really remember the words to many of them and must remedy that soon.

At this point it is 9, 10 o'clock at night.  I have, thankfully, eaten some dinner.  And then the dr. person comes back.  We are located right across from the nurses station.  So we can hear a lot that is going on.  And we hear the dr. person on the phone with someone.  I believe my OB.  Then we hear the words blood clot.  Now as many of you may know or experience yourself, watching of the ERs, the Grey's Anatomy's, the Scrubs, you have a ton of thoughts, ideas, crazy things that run through your head.  I did the same thing.  And begin to panic.  Hubbs, who is probably going crazy in his own head is frantically trying to calm me down.  It's not working.

The dr. person comes in and explains that I have a sinus thrombosis (don't worry, I had it before Hillary Clinton thought it was cool to have one).  And that I was being transferred to Fairfax.  I don't want to go to Fairfax.  We live 5 minutes from this hospital.  Dr. person tries to reassure me that it's ok and that it probably won't matter because I'll be checked out and then released.  That little dr. person is a big, giant LIAR.

to be continued....

1 comment:

  1. I can hardly imagine how scary this all must have been for you both. :( I'm so sorry you had to go through it. In many years to come, I hope all the scary memories fade out and are replaced by good! Love to you!

    ReplyDelete