Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A little catch-up - part 1

So it has been quite awhile.  I know you have all missed me.  All one of you.  But that is ok, because eventually that number will grow and I will have minions.  Million of minions.  Er, I mean followers.  And if not, at least I'll have a chronicle of certain parts of my life. 

Last we talked I was pregnant.  Well.  I'm sure you guessed.  I'm not anymore!  Yay!  I know have a beautiful 3-month old baby girl.  And this post will try and fill you in on the journey to meeting her, as well as the aftermath.

Shall we begin?

Let's go back to December.  I had already been working from home two days a week because of DR's orders.  I had a pinched nerve and sitting for long periods without being able to move (i.e., in my hour+ long commute) were not helping.  But Hubbs had decided that he didn't want me in Alexandria for the last few weeks of pregnancy in case something happened while I was at work.  The hospital would be an hour away and well who wants to drive while in contractions?  I certainly didn't.  So with this argument I requested the ability to work from home starting Dec 10.  My due date was Dec 27. 

December 12th rolls around.  I'm doing my thing, having a day, working on documents.  Then my vision starts to get blurry (around 10ish).  I IM Wendy (my resident go-to-guru for all things baby related and coworker).  I ask her her opinion and she says I should call my OBs.  So I proceed to call them and they suggest that I eat some protein.  Apparently I had had a carb-heavy breakfast.  Well, let's just say that cooking eggs (the only readily available protein in the house) is very hard when you can't see straight.

So I eat the eggs.  I also find some cheese.  Nothing improves.  Now I have a severe headache.  I go back to my computer and relay progress to Wendy.  She suggests maybe I should go to the hospital since blurry vision can be a symptom of preeclampsia.  Greaaat.  I call Hubbs and try not to freak out.  He isn't at his desk.  Luckily we planned for this and I call his boss.  And lo and behold he is in his boss' office at the time.  I try not to breakdown and cry but fail.  I tell him he needs to come home and we need to go to the hospital.  Now he works 1/2 an hour away.  In that 1/2 hour my left arm and left side of my face goes numb.  I am relaying this all to Wendy (quite difficulty and with lots of typos probably).  She is freaking out.  Which in turn freaks me out.  She says I need to go NOW.  I tell her I can't drive.  She says call ambulance.  I call and see how far away Hubbs is.  He's close enough that I hold off on the ambulance.  But I do manage to get our last remaining items together (the hospital bags are already in Hubbs' car - smart thinking on my part if I do say so).

While waiting I get sick.  Which is not fun.  Ever.  I am trying (to no avail) to calm down.  By the time he pulls up I am thoroughly freaked out.  We get in and head to the birthing inn.  Luckily it's only 5 minutes away (how convenient right?).  I call my OB on the way in and tell them that I am heading in to the birthing inn.  We get there, and amazingly get sent right back to the triage area (where they check you out).  They take blood pressure and put a monitor on the baby.  Do a Doppler.  Make me pee in a cup.  All the good stuff.  I even get to see my DR.  And they tell me nothing is wrong with the baby.  That she is "textbook healthy".  By this point I'm thinking it was all in my head.  Just a bad headache from lack of sleep.  But nooooo, they want us to go to the ER to get me checked out.

Off to the ER we go.  Oh did I mention that I don't get to put my clothes back on.  So I'm being wheeled through the hospital in a hospital gown.  I'm freezing and trying to keep my lady bits and bobs from showing.  Don't worry though, it won't be the last time.

....to be continued

2 comments:

  1. That Wendy girl sounds brilliant. Good thing you have her in your life.

    ReplyDelete